Dr. Charles R. Drew Elementary School

In 1945 a new segregated elementary school was built for Arlington's African American population in the Green Valley, now Nauck, neighborhood. It was the only Arlington school to be built in the Art Moderne architectural style. Originally called the Kemper Annex, it was renamed in 1952 to honor Dr. Charles R. Drew, a local resident and eminent physician. After receiving his medical degree (McGill University, 1933), Dr. Drew became the first African American to earn a Doctor of Science in Medicine (Ph.D.) degree (Columbia University, 1940). He was internationally recognized as a pioneer in the field of blood plasma research.

Excerpted from stayarlington.com