Origins of Green Valley
Green Valley, formerly Nauck, is a traditionally African American neighborhood. Levi Jones first settled in this area and was later joined by other African American families such as Thornton and Selina Gray, William Augustus and Ellen Rowe, and Frank and Mary Williams. These early residents set the foundations of the community after the Civil War. In 1876, John D. Nauck, a German immigrant, subdivided 69 acres to establish the "Town of Nauck, Alexandria County, Virginia." The eventual closing of Freedman's Village led to its residents to migrate to nearby communities such as Green Valley, Johnson's Hill, Arlingtonville, and Holmesville.